Logging through ssh without passphrase

Julia Palandri julia.palandri at canonical.com
Wed Oct 5 09:31:18 UTC 2016

Thanks for all the answers!

On Tue, Oct 4, 2016 at 11:26 PM, Michael Hudson-Doyle <
michael.hudson at canonical.com> wrote:

> On 5 October 2016 at 07:40, Mark Shuttleworth <mark at ubuntu.com> wrote:
>
>> On 04/10/16 11:30, Julia Palandri wrote:
>>

>> On Tue, Oct 4, 2016 at 8:13 PM, Mark Shuttleworth <mark at ubuntu.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> On 04/10/16 10:59, Julia Palandri wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,

>>> I checked and all my keys uploaded to launchpad say "Proc-Type:
>>> 4,ENCRYPTED" (which I understand mean have passphrase?)
>>>

>>> I take it you are specifically checking the private key component
>>> ("id_rsa") on your local disk, not talking about the stuff you pasted into
>>> the LP web page (which should be "id_rsa.pub")?
>>>

>> You're correct. The .pub part doesn't have this kind of info, afaik
>>

>> OK. I suspect that you have a desktop key agent which has the passphrase
>> of one of your keys cached, and when you cancelled the initial passphrase
>> request ssh rolled over to that key.

Might be. How can I check if seahorse has my passphrase catched?
I tried to login from a tty and (yay!) I couldn't.
I will now try to disable the keyring following instructions on
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GNOME/Keyring#Disable_keyring_daemon_components
and retry, and I might also delete one o my ssh keys from launchpad to make
sure.

> Running ssh with -v (or -vv or -vvv) can make this sort of thing clearer.

Thanks! Strangely, when trying to login from tty I saw sh asking me or my
passphrase, I just gave an empty one, and then it requested for password.
On the X terminal, instead, it asks me for my passphrase, and when it
fails, it offers another key.

Best,

--

Julia