More problems with ubuntu-core generated using ubuntu-image

MikeB mabnhdev at gmail.com
Wed Oct 5 14:31:57 UTC 2016

I posted this over a week ago and received no responses.  I'd really
like to get past this problem so that I no longer have to use
ubuntu-device-flash to generate a working ubuntu-core.

I'm trying to generate a custom Ubuntu-Core OS for a network switch
whitebox from DNI. I'm building a custom kernel snap using the latest
snapcraft, et. al. - I needed to patch a couple kernel files, but
mostly the customization are config changes.  The snap was built with
confinement:strict, grade:devel

I'm using ubuntu-image (Version 0.5+mvo10 Rev 17)  to generate the image.

I'm using the gadget from the latest rev of
lp:~vorlon/snappy-hub/snappy-systems.

The assertion file:
type: model
authority-id: TBD
series: 16
brand-id: TBD
model: canonical-pc-amd64
gadget: pc
kernel: deltanetworks-l9032nxb-kernel
architecture: amd64
timestamp: 2016-09-19T8:30:00-04:00
revision: 0
body-length: 0

The first problem is that firstboot setup fails every time.

I see this message in the syslog...

error: cannot create state: state "/var/lib/snapd/state.json" already exists

The second problem is much more annoying - a very long bootup time.

>From 'Starting Initial cloud-init job (metadata service crawler)...' to
getting a login prompt now takes about 260 seconds.  This happens on every
reboot.

About 60 seconds is spent in 'Started Update resolvconf for networkd DNS.'

Another 80 seconds is spent  "Calling 'http://169.254.169.254/2009-
04-04/meta-data/instance-id'"

Another 120 seconds is spent  "Calling 'http:///latest/meta-data/instance-id'"
- that is the default gateway for the subnet, which, as far as I know, does
not have an http server.

Any ideas on how I can get back to reasonable boot times?

Regards, Mike