ubuntu-image 0.7ubuntu1

Oliver Grawert ogra at ubuntu.com
Tue Oct 11 16:12:06 UTC 2016

hi,
Am Dienstag, den 11.10.2016, 11:55 -0400 schrieb Barry Warsaw:
> On Oct 11, 2016, at 05:01 PM, Oliver Grawert wrote:
>

> > defining it in the gadget would be rather awful since that means if
> > we
> > use an identical image for cloud, VM  and "normal PC install" we
> > would
> > need a gadget per image just for that one difference ... (the pc
> > image
> > that you can use for all three consists of: pc (gadget, pc-kernel
> > (obviously kernel) and core (rootfs).
> That's the data point I was looking for, thanks!
>
> Can you explain in more detail why kvm images need some extra space,
> but other
> images do not?

on VMs the img file defines the "physical VM disk" while for an actual
install you write the img file to a pyhsical disk device ... the resize
code will find that the partition table does not cover all of the disk
before first boot and start the resize process so here the img size
wont be taken into account at all.

on a VM, all the resize code will see is the img file that pretends to
be a harddisk and it will find there is nothing to resize to.

> Also, if you specify a fudge factor via cli/envar, should that be
> applied in
> addition to, or instead of, any built-in compensation for file system
> overhead?

i dont mind either, whatever is easier to implement (as long as the
help documents the right behaviour) ;)

ciao
	oli