Ubuntu Core 16 beta images available

Omer Akram omer.akram at canonical.com
Sat Sep 10 10:29:17 UTC 2016

Hi!

(replying to devices@)

On Thu, Sep 8, 2016 at 2:50 AM, Michael Vogt <michael.vogt at canonical.com>
wrote:

> Ubuntu Core 16 Images
> =====================
>
> The Ubuntu snappy team is happy to announce the first beta images for
> Ubuntu Core 16.  The images use the snapd package manager to install
> and update all components of the system including kernel, core, gadget
> and applications.
>
> The images are available for PC (amd64, i386) and Raspberry Pi2
> (armhf). More architectures and boards (arm64 dragonboard, pi3) will
> follow shortly. You can download them at:
>
>     http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-snappy/16.04/current/
>
> The images are bootable, the pc image can be booted directly in
> qemu-kvm or virtualenv. The pi2 image can be written to a sdcard via:
>
>     unxz ubuntu-core-16-pc.img.xz
>     dd if= ubuntu-core-16-pc.img of=/dev/sdXX
>
> Where /dev/sdXX is the path of your sd card.
>
> After booting the image you can enter your Ubuntu SSO email and it
> will automatically create a matching user with the right ssh keys. If
> you do not have an Ubuntu SSO account yet you can create one at:
>
>     https://login.ubuntu.com/

Does that mean I have to connect my RaspberryPi to a screen with HDMI
before I can start using it ? With previous image I was able to directly
ssh into the device, now it seems not to be possible. Is there a way around
that, perhaps a config file to which I can write my email address before
booting the Pi?

My general workflow is: I flash the ubuntu-core on my sdcard and boot the
Pi without any internet (this creates some initial directories like
/etc/network). Then I add a network interface for my wifi dongle by
mounting the sdcard on my laptop and again boot the Pi. This used to get me
access to the Pi. With latest image my device does get online with my home
router(dhcp successful) but I cannot ssh as I presume there is no default
user.