[RPi2] Ubuntu Core 16 beta image size

Oliver Grawert ogra at ubuntu.com
Sat Sep 10 10:45:06 UTC 2016

hi,
Am Samstag, den 10.09.2016, 15:00 +0500 schrieb Omer Akram:
> Hi!
>
> I wanted to highlight that the beta image for RPi2  is 4000000000
> bytes in size, so it does not flash on a 4Gb sdcard. My 4Gb sdcard
> have 3,967,811,584 bytes in total. Currently I resized the ubuntu-
> core image with gparted, I reduced the size of writable partition
> 30Mb and the image size became exactly 3,967,811,584 bytes.
>
> I was not sure where to report a bug for this, if there is a better
> place, please let me know and I'll report a bug there.
>
> Hopefully this will be fixed for the RC image.

theoretically the image could be (uncompressed) below 500MB it is just
filled with (IMHO pointless) zeros today due to the use of sparse files

https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1619362

there is nothing at the end off the image (the GPT backup that usually
sits there gets re-created on first boot anyway when we check if the
image is resizable) so technically you can just dd it and ignore the
error it will throw without any actual drawbacks, no need to resize in
advance since gparted will only move these zeros around.

ciao
	oli