Console-conf and ip address

Steve Langasek steve.langasek at canonical.com
Fri Sep 23 18:56:42 UTC 2016

Hi Victor,

On Fri, Sep 23, 2016 at 10:45:48AM +0100, Victor Palau wrote:

> I have an issue, and talking to a few people they had it too, where I set
> up my user link to my sso via console -conf and failed to write down the ip
> address of the box.

> Even having a keyboard and screen connected to the device (RPI2) does not
> help to get access to the box, since I never had a chance to set up a
> password. So I had to reflash the device and try again.

> My concern is that if I take the device somewhere else or I loose the lease
> for that ip and did not set up a password, my only option would be to
> reflash the device (if I dont have admin access in the network router i am
> connected). This seems a bad user experience.

> Could we not at least have the ip address for the device always displayed
> on the console login prompt.

I like the suggestion to have the IP listed on the console, however I'm not
sure how we would implement it cleanly.

 - There may be multiple interfaces configured; presenting all of them would
   make for an awkward login prompt, knowing which one is "the" address to
   present is non-trivial
 - The IP addresses may change after the prompt is written; I don't think we
   want to leave a process running to monitor this and update the console,
   and leaving stale info on the screen is also bad

In theory it might be cleaner if we could just show the mDNS hostname, but
this can suffer similar problems - changing over time due to collisions on
the network, differing from interface to interface for the same reason.

So I would love for us to have this, but it would take a fair bit of work to
do right.