Console-conf and ip address

Oliver Grawert ogra at ubuntu.com
Tue Sep 27 18:25:49 UTC 2016

hi,
On So, 2016-09-25 at 18:03 +0200, Martin Pitt wrote:
> Oliver Grawert [2016-09-23 19:33 +0200]:
> >

> > > Pi box since it always change with my router after reflash new
> > > image.
> > >
> > this is sadly one of the drawbacks of the new netplan tool ...
> > it sends the machine ID alongside with the MAC address to the dhcp
> > server when obtaining the IP for the first time ... since on a
> > freshly
> > flashed board this ID is newly generated it kind of forcefully
> > changes
> > the IP with every re-flash.
>
> FTR, it currently uses /etc/machine-id as DHCP identifier (DUID) as
> that's in line with moving to location-based network names -- a lot
> of
> USB network devices don't have a stable MAC, or the devices
> themselves
> may change. But it's just a config option, we can also use the MAC
> address as DUID.

we make sure that the onboard USB NICs have persistent MACs in our
images, but indeed that wouldn't help with additional ones you plug in

what worries me more is how do dhcp servers on i.e. your AP/router
handle this.
i havent seen one where you assign a fixed IP server side by using a
DUID. the typical router or AP UI has a MAC->IP assignment page to give
our fixed IPs ...
how does that work when the DUID is sent to the server ?

ciao
	oli