GeoClue

Thomas Voß thomas.voss at canonical.com
Mon Aug 1 09:30:53 UTC 2016

On Mon, Aug 1, 2016 at 11:02 AM, David Chen <david.chen at canonical.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to make a snap for a weatherinfo example which I got from Qt
> creator.  The problem I am having is, it seems to require "geoclue-master"
> and "ubuntu-geoip-provider" both running in order to get the location info.

The weatherinfo example uses QtPositioning/Location internally. Both
fall back to a default
backend, which is probably selected as Ubuntu's Geoip provider by default.

For testing purposes, and if you are willing to alter some source code:
you could switch to the simulator backend that comes as part of the Qt
positioning source. In "void AppModel::networkSessionOpened()",
change:
  d->src = QGeoPositionInfoSource::createDefaultSource(this);
  d->src = QGeoPositionInfoSource::createSource("simulator", this);

> Since GeoClue is D-Bus related, I am wondering if there is a recommended way
> to make it work under snappy, or if there is any suggestion for this type of
> location service related apps?

We have two interfaces "location-control" and "location-observe" in
place. Both talk to the location-service as available on Ubuntu phones
today.
We are working on uploading a snap of the location-service with a
pre-configured dummy setup that allows for rapid testing of
location-based snaps.

Upload should happen really soon.

Hope that helps,

  Thomas