How do I get a postinst stage properly executed - traceroute will not install correctly

David Garrod dgarrod at extremenetworks.com
Mon Aug 8 16:01:18 UTC 2016

Re:

Ø  Perhaps there should be a separate plugin which does the "true .deb" installation process in a chroot etc., but for your specific traceroute use case it seems easier to just add the missing symlinks created by update-alternatives yourself (or simply move the binaries to the expected place!)

While I’m sure I could hack this particular case and add a link in the startup of my snap I don’t see this as a general solution. What if a later version of the package changes the name of the file or something. Any true solution has to be based in what is in the postinst for the version of the package being installed. This seems like a general issue to me. In order to make the whole snap concept viable surely you have to be able to take packages unchanged and have your SNAP depend on them just as packages in the non-SNAP world depend on each other. I’d really like to see a mechanism whereby the installation of a SNAP can run the post install configure step in the context of the installation. Maybe that would involve deferring some of this to the snap start if absolutely necessary but in general this would not be needed. Are there any active plans to address this fundamental design issue?

DISCLAIMER:
This e-mail and any attachments to it may contain confidential and proprietary material and is solely for the use of the intended recipient. Any review, use, disclosure, distribution or copying of this transmittal is prohibited except by or on behalf of the intended recipient. If you have received this transmittal in error, please notify the sender and destroy this e-mail and any attachments and all copies, whether electronic or printed.