How to handle conffiles in snaps?

Christian Ehrhardt christian.ehrhardt at canonical.com
Tue Aug 9 07:18:21 UTC 2016

On Tue, Aug 9, 2016 at 7:38 AM, Simon Fels <simon.fels at canonical.com> wrote:

Thanks a lot Simon for the answers!
A few clarifications requests inline below (mostly getting the bug # to
subscribe and refer).

For upgrades
> there will be a hook at some point in the near future which will notify
> when your snap is upgraded and you can perform similar logic like you
> can do in the maintainer scripts to handle changed formts etc. But as
> far as I know there will be no modifications to the real /etc allowed
> for any application snap.

Ok, I consider this WIP then - is there a bug I could subscribe myself and
link to from my code?

> You could still store conf files in SNAP_USER_DATA to get them writable
> by the users of the system.

It is a daemon that needs the conf, so I think I'll try hack something up
in SNAP_DATA for now.

> > The only snap-centric artifact about it I found was [1]. But that feels
> > broken/outdated as there is no "snappy" command anymore (and snap has no
> > "config" subcommand).
>
> Something similar will come back. From what I've heard there will be a
> apply-config hook which you can implement in your snap and a user can
> call from the outside with a simple 'snap set
> snap.name.confkey=confvalue' or similar.

Thanks, as above I consider this WIP then - is there a bug I could
subscribe myself and link to from my code?

--
Christian Ehrhardt
Software Engineer, Ubuntu Server