How to snap packages that provide "extra" files to be used by something else

Mark Shuttleworth mark at ubuntu.com
Fri Aug 12 11:35:53 UTC 2016

On 04/08/16 09:16, Christian Ehrhardt wrote:
> Now that doesn't fit in the (otherwise really great) sandboxing into
> ~/snap or /snap.
> Because in this case others programs should be able to pick up these
> files in common paths.
>
> It doesn't really qualify for an interface [3] as I thought to
> understand them so far.

Interfaces should actually handle this case very well, as long as both
sides of the file exchange are predictable. So I can imagine CUPS
providing an interface to ingest PPDs and a PPD snap that consumes that
interface making the PPDs available.

In the next wave of landings, you'll see the ability to execute code in
both snaps when an interface is being connected, allowing you to agree
for example on filenames etc.

Mark