Build snaps in container

Matt Bruzek matthew.bruzek at canonical.com
Tue Aug 16 13:39:56 UTC 2016

​​
To get better acquainted with snapping I built a snapcraft environment in
an Ubuntu docker container. This gives us a consistent snapcraft
environment everywhere, from development, CI to my colleagues OSX
installation.

This is a minimum viable product that provides a few features:

* Gives developers access to the snapcraft tools in many environments.
* Users can mount a directory from the host into the container to do
snapcraft builds and leave builds artifacts on the host.
* The container follows a similar pattern that we use in CI with other
projects. Developers and the CI system build using the same environment.

​If you are interested in the source code, check the project out here:
https://github.com/juju-solutions/snapbox

It is also available on docker hub: https://hub.docker.com/r/
jujusolutions/snapbox/ making the setup:

docker run --rm -it -v path/to/snapcraft:/home/snapper/snap
jujusolutions/snapbox

We are looking to snap up Kubernetes for the upstream packaging. Right now
it looks like we may have to build a custom plugin. If anyone wants to help
out with that please let me know.

   - Matt Bruzek <matthew.bruzek at canonical.com>