Including custom kernel driver with a snap

MikeB mabnhdev at gmail.com
Tue Aug 16 16:12:31 UTC 2016

On 2016-08-12 06:25:12 -0500 Jamie Strandboge wrote:

> Note that this is an extremely privileged interface since it essentially
gives
> device ownership to the snap and there will be assertions and store checks
> limiting its use. AFAIK, the snappy way of doing this is still to build a
kernel
> snap with the drivers you want.

Hmmm.  Interesting point about building the drivers into the kernel.  Note
that these are custom kernel drivers distributed separately from the
kernel.  I've never tried to build a custom driver as part of the kernel,
so I'll have to look into it more.

I suspect that I'll have to build a custom kernel snap for my target
platform(s) anyways since some platforms need standard drivers at boot time
that are not included with the standard kernel snap.  So, this might be a
reasonable solution.

Mike