Putting git inside a snap

Marco Ceppi marco.ceppi at canonical.com
Wed Aug 17 13:36:16 UTC 2016

On Tue, Aug 16, 2016 at 10:11 PM Sergio Schvezov <
sergio.schvezov at canonical.com> wrote:

> Create a new `apps` entry like this
>
> apps:
>    sh:
>        command: bash
>        plugs: [same list of plugs used by what calls git]

I did something similar:

apps:
  git:
    command: usr/bin/git
    plugs: [...]

This way I could mess around with charm.git and play with environment
variables. At the end of the day GIT_EXEC_PATH and PREFIX were needed.

Even still I'm having issues with things like `git clone --recursive` so
I've patched those calls out of the source code for now (when not needed).
I'll keep playing around to see if I can get git-submodules to work but 95%
of the use cases for the tool are functioning now.

> There's a `snap shell` (or similar) command making a come back some time
> and would make this more straightforward.
>
> For what it's worth I strace and gdb like this in a `snap try` session.

I spent quite a long time with strace against charm.git, but that lead to
more problems than help. I've not used `snap try` yet.