Snapping Qt 5.7 APPs

Timo Jyrinki timo.jyrinki at gmail.com
Wed Aug 24 15:18:37 UTC 2016

Hi David!

Thanks, seems to work nicely! I think some shortcuts like this are a
good workaround as compiling the whole Qt is a huge time consumer.

I'm interested in understanding the needs of Qt users (and snappy
users interested in Qt), so I'm curious what brings you to using Qt
5.7? If it's the new virtual keyboard module alone, I could see about
getting that available compiled against older Qt version, if it does
not rely on too many Qt internal changes. That would make it unneeded
to bundle a whole new Qt for just one extra module.

Also, we already have a virtual keyboard based on maliit-framework /
ubuntu-keyboard in active development so if you haven't yet it'd be
useful to chat with the current developers of that to know what would
be the plan for which uses cases, if you prefer the Qt's
virtualkeyboard module.

As for the Qt versions in general, the next stable phone/tablet
platform will use Qt 5.6 as the system Qt as 5.6 is a long-term
supported version by upstream, which will receive bug fixes and
security fixes for 3 years. Qt 5.5, 5.7 or 5.8 are/were only supported
for roughly 9 months or so (as soon as 5.8.0 will be out, there will
likely not be further development of 5.7 series). For most
applications it may make sense to use the Qt used by the systems
application instead of shipping one's own Qt version if there's not a
critical feature missing. An option is also to backport the most
wanted features to the system Qt.

-Timo