Snapping LDC (LLVM-based D compiler)

Andrew Wilkins andrew.wilkins at canonical.com
Mon Aug 29 01:38:08 UTC 2016

On Mon, Aug 29, 2016 at 8:02 AM Joseph Rushton Wakeling <
joseph.wakeling at webdrake.net> wrote:

> On 28.08.2016 23:21, Joseph Rushton Wakeling wrote:
> > Just to make sure I don't head off in completely the wrong direction, is
> there a
> > straightforward (or at least, advisable) way to include gcc and the C
> standard
> > libraries in a snap, perhaps deriving from existing Ubuntu packages?  I
> imagine
> > this doesn't have a ready solution yet, but just to make sure...
>
> OK, I discovered `stage-packages` ;-)  This is turning into a little bit
> of a
> rabbit warren, but looks promising: including gcc and libc6 got me to the
> point
> where the complaints have moved from the availability of gcc to:
>
>      /snap/ldc2/x1/usr/bin/ld: cannot find crt1.o: No such file or
> directory
>      /snap/ldc2/x1/usr/bin/ld: cannot find crti.o: No such file or
> directory
>      /snap/ldc2/x1/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lrt
>      /snap/ldc2/x1/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -ldl
>      /snap/ldc2/x1/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lpthread
>      /snap/ldc2/x1/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lm
>      /snap/ldc2/x1/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lc
>      /snap/ldc2/x1/usr/bin/ld: cannot find crtn.o: No such file or
> directory

I've been looking into doing this too, for llgo (Go compiler frontend for
LLVM).

You need libc6-dev also. After including that, I was then met with another
issue: libc.so is a linker script, and that uses absolute paths to point at
the real libraries. I haven't solved that yet. If it's possible to override
files in a staged package, you could just provide a replacement linker
script.

Cheers,
Andrew