Announcing Snaplint

Scott Sweeny scott.sweeny at canonical.com
Thu Dec 8 21:44:09 UTC 2016

Hi all,

I'm writing to announce a tool I've been working on to encode best
practices for snapping software. Inspired by utilities like lintian I've
decided to name it 'snaplint'. At this point I'd like some wider
feedback as I try to make it more useful.

Right now you can run snaplint against your snapcraft project directory
and it will scan the prime subdirectory for the following things:

 * copyright (basically that you included usr/share/doc/*copyright* for
any stage-packages
 * developer cruft (things like header and object files or static libs
that might have made their way into your snap)
 * libraries (examine the ELF files in your snap and look for libraries
which aren't used)

The next things I'm planning on adding are:
 * checking for copyright info from apps/parts themselves.
 * checking for mixing of incompatible licenses

I would love to hear suggestions from you on further improvements.

You can find the source at https://github.com/ssweeny/snaplint

And, of course you can try it on your own machine with

	$ snap install snaplint
	$ snaplint <path/to/your/project>

Cheers,
~Scott