Daemon: dbus examples

Michi Henning michi.henning at canonical.com
Mon Dec 12 23:31:31 UTC 2016

> In snapd 2.20 we are working to have the 'dbus' generic interface in place[2].
> With it you can specify the bus name (session or system), the well-known name to
> bind to and then use interface connections to connect your client to your
> service.

Thanks for that Jamie!

I take I’ll be able to specify the dbus name dynamically? We need this for storage service, where the client app doesn’t know a-priori which exact service it will be talking to. Instead, that’s determined by the user, who selects which cloud service they want to use (say, for backup). The providers for the different cloud services each use a different dbus name, so the actual dbus name an application needs to use isn’t know until runtime.

> In a future version of snapd, service activation will be supported[3] (eg, for
> session services) as well as running daemons on the session bus[4]. AIUI the
> Ubuntu Personal folks are working on this and they have a design and the
> implementation should start soon. Thanks!

So, I take that we’ll be able to use this for things such as thumbnailer and mediascanner? I’m asking because, if so, there is no point in me trying to add service-specific interfaces for these to snapd.

Do you have a rough ETA for this? (No, I’m not going to hold you to it :-)  Just trying to get a feel for where things are at.)

Thanks,

Michi.