Daemon: dbus examples

Ted Gould ted at ubuntu.com
Tue Dec 13 16:40:04 UTC 2016

On Tue, 2016-12-13 at 09:31 +1000, Michi Henning wrote:
> > In snapd 2.20 we are working to have the 'dbus' generic interface
> > in place[2]. With it you can specify the bus name (session or
> > system), the well-known name to bind to and then use interface
> > connections to connect your client to your service.
>  I take I’ll be able to specify the dbus name dynamically? We need
> this for storage service, where the client app doesn’t know a-priori
> which exact service it will be talking to. Instead, that’s determined
> by the user, who selects which cloud service they want to use (say,
> for backup). The providers for the different cloud services each use
> a different dbus name, so the actual dbus name an application needs
> to use isn’t know until runtime.
No, it shouldn't be dynamic. The point of the dbus entry is to provide
well-known names for services, it doesn't really make sense for them to
be generated. Also, I don't expect us to allow snaps to install in a
GUI-way that use that feature. Certainly if someone goes to the command
line and explicitly configures an interface, it's their device. But by
default we want to ensure that there is no information leakage about
what you have installed. We will have preinstalled snaps that have dbus
well-known names.
Ted