Development environment for debs and snaps for raspberry pi 3?

David Callé david.calle at canonical.com
Tue Dec 13 19:52:42 UTC 2016

On 13/12/2016 20:46, Dan Kegel wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm building debs and snaps for a raspberry pi 3.
> Questions:
> 1) when last I did this, https://ubuntu-pi-flavour-maker.org/ was the
> best place to get real ubuntu for the pi 3 (the one listed on the
> ubuntu wiki didn't boot reliably).  Is that still true?  What do other
> folks use?
> 2) if one were to want to use the official snappy core ubuntu 16.04
> for raspberry pi 3 as a development host, is there a reasonable way to
> do that?  e.g. installing lxd on it and running an ubuntu desktop
> environment inside lxd?

An easy way to achieve this is to install the "classic" snap [1]. It
gives you a classic ubuntu environment on top of Ubuntu Core, to install
snapcraft for example.

Here is another piece of doc [2] on this topic, not published yet, that
will be helpful in terms of dev workflow on your pi.

[1]
http://snapcraft.io/docs/build-snaps/build-for-another-arch#on-an-ubuntu-core-device
[2]
https://github.com/ubuntudesign/developer.ubuntu.com/blob/master/templates/pages/core/get-started/developer-setup.md