opengl on ubuntu core on pi3?

Oliver Grawert ogra at ubuntu.com
Thu Dec 15 17:34:49 UTC 2016

hi,
Am Donnerstag, den 15.12.2016, 09:20 -0800 schrieb Dan Kegel:
> So, I installed ubuntu core 16 on my pi and verified that with
> classic I was able to build my little world.
> Next step: run an opengl program.  So I created a local
> password, logged into the console, and ... what?
> startx isn't there, and even in classic, there's nothing
> in apt that looks especially like a rasperry pi x server.
>
> Uh, can I buy a clue?

well, you will likely never find startx or any Xorg on core ... neither
will you ever find actual opengl on arm devices (with the exception of
nvidia tegra perhaps who do some opengl emulation on top of GLES)

what is being worked on is GLES and Mir support (which imho will also
allow you to do GLES/wayland then if you desire), but there are still
some kernel issues to be solved to make the driver work properly.

probably paolo pisati, kevin gunn or thomas voss can chime in here,
these three are currently actively working on it.

ciao
	oli