Ubuntu core on BBB

Mark Shuttleworth mark at ubuntu.com
Fri Dec 16 14:48:46 UTC 2016

On 16/12/16 06:14, Luther Goh Lu Feng wrote:
> Mark mentioned "Rpi2/3 and Qualcomm Dragonboard are already certified".
>
> Is getting "certified" == "having Ubuntu Core as an official option"?
>
> In the grand scheme of things should element14 or beagleboard
> - get BBB to become an official reference platform produced by the snappy team ?
> - or roll their own build of Ubuntu Core?
>
> Thanks for the clarifications.

With Ubuntu Core you will be able to make your own kernel, but then you
must take responsibility for it on your device. Alternatively, there can
be a certified kernel which will get security updates from Canonical,
which anybody can use on any "thing". We still need to do a little more
work to have that distinction clearly articulated - the community images
you see are one-offs by folks who were digging in behind the scenes to
make stuff work.

In a couple of weeks I expect this will look like:

 * you take the kernel source tree with snapcraft.yaml and make your own
device kernel snap
 * you use ubuntu-image with that to make your own device image
 * voila

Mark