Only one page of snaps on SnapWeb?

Jamie Bennett jamie.bennett at canonical.com
Mon Dec 19 11:06:37 UTC 2016

Hi Chris,

> On 18 Dec 2016, at 14:31, Chris <cpollock at embarqmail.com> wrote:
>
> I've asked this before but I'm still wondering why there is only one
> page of snaps listed (A-E)? I can do a search for a snap such as
> 'PubIP' and it will come up but there is no way in SnapWeb to go
> forward from the first page.

This functionality is being worked on but the idea of SnapWeb is not to show you every single possible snap that can be installed (that would quickly get quiet unwieldily), instead we aim to surface the most prominent snaps. Think of it like a real bricks-and-mortar store; the snaps that are featured are right there in the store window for everyone to see, the most popular snaps per category are in their own sections, and the stuff that you knew up front you wanted but can’t find being displayed can always be retrieved from the warehouse. So mapping that to what we have in the SnapWeb edge channel today, the front store page should be [1] the featured snaps, at the top you can select categories like database, media, messaging [2] for the most popular snaps in that category, and if you know what you want you can use the search bar.

SnapWeb is being actively worked on so you will see lots of changes regularly. If you want to see the latest please:

  $ snap refresh —edge snapweb

or, on a system without snapweb

  $ snap install —edge snapweb

and file any bugs at https://bugs.launchpad.net/snapweb

Regards,
Jamie.

[1] “should be” - this functionality is currently being worked on and is very new.
[2] Snap Sections are again very new. We are still coming up with the right naming scheme and ensuring each snap is in the right place.