Snap daemonization ordering and manual interface connections

Kyle Fazzari kyle.fazzari at canonical.com
Wed Jul 13 16:37:30 UTC 2016

Hey Mike,

On Jul 13, 2016 3:46 AM, "MikeB" <mabnhdev at gmail.com> wrote:
> I understand why you want manual connections for some "critcal"
interfaces.  However, if you're going to require manual intervention, the
snapd should be smart enough to wait for the required connections before
starting up any daemons that have plugs for those "critical" interfaces.
Perhaps even nagging about unconnected plugs in the snap.

I understand where you're coming from here. However, I can imagine
use-cases where such a daemon can actually run successfully without one of
its plugs (particularly when seccomp starts using ERRNO), and have extra
functionality if it's connected. If snapd didn't start services until all
their plugs were connected, such a scenario would be impossible. Also, keep
in mind that the user can disconnect interfaces at any time, so ideally
daemons would be able to handle such things (though I realize that's not
always the case).

Just my two cents.

Kyle