The optical-drive interface, and read/write.

Luke Yelavich luke.yelavich at canonical.com
Thu Jul 14 03:06:07 UTC 2016

Hey folks.
I am working on a cdparanoia snap. CDParanoia requires read/write access to the optical drive, From what I have gathered from the cdparanoia code, read/write access is required for detection of the drive/kernel interface, i.e SG IO, etc, and extraction/reading can be done read-only.

I am wondering whether it is possible to add read/write support to the optical-drive interface for a selection of ioctls, I think only one at this point... If so, could someone point me to a document that explains the syntax for aparmor etc to implement this? I'll be of course happy to propose a merge to snapd for the optical-drive interface once I have identified the ioctls required by cdparanoia.

I think this is worth doing because lots of software uses cdparanoia for reading/extraction, both the cdparanoia library and the command-line utility, gstreamer included.

Of course, if folks feel that another interface is a better solution, I'm up for that as well.

Thanks in advance.

Luke