Future of Launchpad and the Snap Store

David Planella david.planella at canonical.com
Sun Jul 17 12:41:56 UTC 2016

On Fri, Jul 15, 2016 at 9:42 PM, Manik Taneja <manik at canonical.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 5, 2016 at 1:05 AM, Andrew Keech <w.andrew.keech at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> hey everyone, so wonderful to see the incredible progress all the time.
>>
> welcome to snapcraft!
>

>> I've been whittling away at a snap for `gimp-edge` for a while, but feel
>> it's been overdue to bring in the maintainer of the ppa where I currently
>> get my builds from. Having been in touch with Thorsten now, he's got some
>> unanswered questions about the possible future relationships or
>> integrations between Launchpad and the Snap Store. Right now he wants to
>> start a new ppa just for delivering the snap as a separate project from the
>> traditional gimp-edge deb.
>>
>> Are there any best practice ideas that exist? Is there some kind of plan
>> for how the Store and Launchpad might work together, or if they'd exist
>> separately?
>>
>> colin has already shared an excellent write-up on hosting/building with
> launchpad and publishing/promotion/distribution with the store. can we help
> you with landing the pkg in the store and making it available for general
> consumption?
>
> david, can you please work with andrew and help connect the dots between
> andrew/thorsten and the owner of the gimp snap work that's underway..

Hi Manik,

Andrew himself has been working on the GIMP snap as part of the snappy
playpen:

https://github.com/wandrewkeech/snappy-playpen/tree/gimp-git

Thanks to his feedback one of the main blockers in building GIMP (and other
snaps) [1] was fixed as part of the recent Snapcraft 2.12.1 release. After
that, a new build uncovered another issue, described here [2]. I added a
GIMP snap hacking session for the Heidelberg sprint next week, and I'd
encourage everyone who can help making the GIMP snap happen (either
remotely or at the event) to try Andrew's snap code and contribute with
feedback or fixes to complete the build.

Thanks!

Cheers,
David.

[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/snapcraft/+bug/1595243