A question about using --devmode

John Lenton john.lenton at canonical.com
Mon Jul 25 08:55:11 UTC 2016

On 25 July 2016 at 03:11, XiaoGuo Liu <xiaoguo.liu at canonical.com> wrote:
> If I use "--devmode" when installing a snap application, do I have to define
> "confinement"  in snapcraft.yaml to be ""devmode" exactly. What happens if I
> defined "confinement" to be "strict"?

while --devmode is required for snaps that have confinement:devmode,
it can also be specified for confinement:strict, in which case you'll
have a non-confined (and soon non-auto-updating) snap that could be
confined. Useful if you're seeing weird behaviour in the snap and
wondering if it's because of a confinement bug, but not for much
otherwise.

The reverse is not true; if you have confinement:devmode and you don't
specify --devmode (or, in 2.11, override it with --jailmode), you'll
get an error telling you as much.

HTH,