Missing uboot env variables "snap_kernel" & "snap_core" for building an armhf image

Steve Langasek steve.langasek at canonical.com
Thu Nov 3 09:38:12 UTC 2016

Hi Woodrow,

On Thu, Nov 03, 2016 at 03:40:39PM +0800, Woodrow Shen wrote:

> I'm working on port of roseapple-pi (
> https://github.com/xapp-le/SnappyUbuntuCore), and after building an image
> via ubuntu-image, the new uboot.env modified by snapd can't find the snap
> related variables "snap_kernel" & "snap_core". I check the image's content
> and then confirm the kernel snap files are included under /var/lib/snapd/
> (writable) and system-boot file system. Right now I don't have any idea
> about this, anyone can give me a clue ? Thanks.

Please make sure your gadget.yaml does not specify uboot.env as contents for
your partition.  It is /not/ content, it is handled specially by snapd.  If
you also specify it as content, what happens is that snapd first extracts it
from the gadget, modifies it internally, and writes it to the boot
directory; then ubuntu-image, following the instructions in your
gadget.yaml, clobbers that snapd-provided uboot.env with the unmodified one.

ubuntu-image should be more defensive about this, and refuse to allow the
snapd-special files as content.  Barry, can you please get this onto the
roadmap for ubuntu-image?

Thanks,