Error on compiling snap using wxPython

Vincent JOBARD vinzjobard at gmail.com
Mon Nov 7 12:25:34 UTC 2016

Hi Didier Thx for your answer

On Mon, Nov 7, 2016 at 9:02 AM Didier Roche <didrocks at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> Le 06/11/2016 à 01:40, Vincent JOBARD a écrit :
> > Hi every one
> >
> > Few days ago I found that a GUI exists for
> > YouTube-dl, https://github.com/MrS0m30n3/youtube-dl-gui.
> >
> > So I tried to create a snap for it, based on youtube-dl snapcraft.yaml
> > found in the Playpen
> >
> > https://github.com/Winael/youtube-dl-gui/blob/snapcraft/snapcraft.yaml
> >
> > but when I build my snap I have an error
> >
> > https://pastebin.ubuntu.com/23433523/
> >
> > I certainly miss something with the dependancies management but I
> > don't found what.
> >
> > Is there someone that could help me ?
>
> I suggest that you print PYTHON_PATH and look at the content that
> snapcraft has there. I doubt that the python plugin resolves
> dependencies from stage-packages at build time.

How could I found the PYTHON_PATH from the parts ? I found that's not
possible to download wxPython from PyPI so I can't use python-packages
either. So I suppose that I need a Makefile, where I can specify the
PYTHON_PATH. What do you think ? What can I specify as path ?

> > I have to animate a workshop next week on how to create snaps, and
> > youtube-dl is one of my reference because of multi-source, cloud part
> > possibility and part priorization, and it could be nice to show how to
> > add a GUI on it with a desktop integration with a very simple
> > snapcraft.yaml file
> I suggest if you can't get that one working that you use the one I
> pointed you about. In addition, it's a continuation of the one you will
> demo as part of the conference and build upons multiple concepts:
> - mutiple sources (some local, some distant)
> - good ordering of properties
> - shortcuts and hints (.git enable stripping source-type)
> - services and commands talking together
> - local plugins.

I'll use face-detection-demo snaps for the first part because it's the
continuation of the presentation based on your work, but I have an hour and
half so I will talk about youtube-dl. If I can't success with the GUI part,
I will only show how to build youtube-dl CLI :)

Cheers
Winael