Help making images to test console-conf changes

Michael Hudson-Doyle michael.hudson at canonical.com
Wed Nov 9 03:07:53 UTC 2016

On 8 November 2016 at 07:41, Michael Hudson-Doyle <
michael.hudson at canonical.com> wrote:

> On 8 November 2016 at 00:24, Oliver Grawert <ogra at ubuntu.com> wrote:
>
>> hi,
>> Am Montag, den 07.11.2016, 17:27 +1300 schrieb Michael Hudson-Doyle:
>> > Hi all,
>> > I've been working on a rewrite of console-conf's networking bits,
>> > with the intent of making the UI a bit clearer and more dynamic (e.g.
>> > if you stick a USB Ethernet adapter in after you've started console-
>> > conf, it shows up in the UI).
>> > I've tested this locally but this is the sort of thing that should
>> > definitely be tested on all supported devices before it goes into
>> > core. I've put probert and subiquity packages into
>> > ppa:mwhudson/devirt but realised that I don't know how to make core
>> > snaps with custom packages on launchpad! If someone could help we
>> > with that, then I (or anyone) can make some images for people to
>> > test.
>>
>> this is exactly what
>> http://people.canonical.com/~ogra/snappy/all-snaps/daily/
>> is for ...
>>
>> just copy your binary into the image PPA, there it gets picked up for
>> the daily edge builds of the core snap and images ...
>>

> When in the day do the snap / image builds happen? I know how to trigger a
> snap build I think (https://launchpad.net/~snappy-dev/+snap/core/+
> request-builds ?) but not how to trigger an image build...
>

>> the daily auto-builds ( http://people.canonical.com/~ogra/core-builds/
>> ) only got into the edge channel, currently all other channels require
>> manual intervention before anything gets promoted into them, so you
>> cant break anything.
>>

> OK, done. I wasn't sure how disruptive breaking edge was :)

The packages mostly worked. I've made a few tweaks and uploaded new
packages for today's builds. Hopefully they work too :)

I tried to test my packages first by fixing up our build of the core snap (
https://launchpad.net/~canonical-foundations/+snap/snappy-first-boot) and
then using ubuntu-image (version 0.11+real1 / revision 26 from the edge
channel) and
http://people.canonical.com/~vorlon/official-models/dragonboard-model.assertion
make a dragonboard image but it didn't boot. Are there any special steps
that need to be taken when making a dragonboard image? I'd love to be able
to test this stuff more locally than waiting for your scripts to churn out
images ...

Cheers,
mwh