Nand flash booting.

Oliver Grawert ogra at ubuntu.com
Mon Nov 14 14:50:52 UTC 2016

hi,
On Mo, 2016-11-14 at 01:21 +0000, Daniel Toussaint wrote:
> I am working on a board similar to Beaglebone Black, however instead
> of SD/eMMC it is booting from NAND flash directly. As far as I can
> see in the documentation there is no way yet to boot a Snappy image
> in this fashion, is support for this planned ? Is there anything I
> can do to help out with that ?
>
> Meanwhile, I am considering using the Yocto version of snapcraft to
> package the apps, so that we can later migrate to from the current
> Yocto image to Snappy.
>
> Thanks for your comments.

currently the boot process relies heavily on filesystem labels for
finding the various (namely system-boot and writable) partitions.

do your NAND devices expose labels you set in /dev/disk/by-label ?

if thats the case it might work to use ubuntu-image with the --workdir
option which keeps the different partition images around in the
specified dir. you could then just grab them from there and flash then
to the respective NAND pratitions.

if the labels are not exposed this will need a bunch of changes in the
code to allow some overrides (i.e. via kernel cmdline options), for
this we will need a wishlist bug as the first step :)

ciao
	oli