Nand flash booting.

Barry Warsaw barry at ubuntu.com
Mon Nov 14 20:51:15 UTC 2016

On Nov 14, 2016, at 11:38 AM, Steve Langasek wrote:

>It is an explicit element of the ubuntu-image design that a gadget snap
>should be able to emit multiple images for a given model, so that these can
>be written out separately across e.g. an SD card and a NAND device.  However,
>the current implementation only allows for an image containing a partition
>table, and filesystems within that.
>
>Barry, Gustavo, do we need to extend gadget.yaml semantics here to support
>some sort of 'schema: raw' for a volume, for the NAND case?

There are really two issues here.  One is an implementation problem in that
ubuntu-image currently only supports a single volume (a.k.a. image) entry per
gadget.yaml.  LP: #1641727 tracks this.

Second, as you point out, the gadget.yaml specification only defines a
partitioning schema of mbr or gpt, so yes, the spec would need to add support
for something like a 'raw' schema.  I don't believe we have a tracking bug
(either in u-i or snappy) for this.

Cheers,
-Barry