Snaps to invoke external processes

Eloy García (PC Actual) eloy.garcia.pca at gmail.com
Mon Nov 21 08:30:24 UTC 2016

Hi Didier.

My snap package (wallpaperdownloader) invokes xdg-open internally but it
isn't working yet. Should I use a specific interface to accomplish that?
This is the snapcraft.yml

name: wallpaperdownloader
version: "2.3"
summary: Download, manage and change your favorite wallpapers from the Internet
application for downloading, managing and changing wallpapers from the
Internet
grade: stable
confinement: strict

apps:
  wallpaperdownloader:
    command: wallpaperdownloader.sh
    plugs: [x11, network-bind, home, gsettings]

parts:
  # Pulls the code from the original source (master branch)
  # desktop/gtk3 is a snapcraft part (snapcraft-desktop-helpers) from
the Wiki: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/snapcraft/parts
  # It enables desktop integration and gsettings manipulation from the
confined application
  # It is necessary to use gsettings interface (see above) in order to
have a fully functional
  # desktop/gtk3 part
  # Github repository for snapcraft-desktop-helpers:
https://github.com/ubuntu/snapcraft-desktop-helpers
  wallpaperdownloader:
    source: https://bitbucket.org/eloy_garcia_pca/wallpaperdownloader.git
    plugin: maven
    stage-packages:
      # mate-desktop-common is necessary to have MATE gsettings
schemas available for the application
      - mate-desktop-common
    after: [desktop-gtk3]

  # It will copy wallpaperdownloader script into /bin/
  # This script contains all the commands needed (sets env variables,
launches the jar file...) to
  # execute the application
  exec:
    plugin: dump
    source: scripts

Thanks!!!

Best,

Eloy

> Le 21/11/2016 à 04:26, Spencer a écrit :
> > It's been a few weeks now, but last I heard, the snapcraft team was or
> did a sprint to address current limitations snaps have regarding the
> invocation of external processes.  Specifically, it would be nice to launch
> the user's default browser with a URL, or let a snap invoke another
> instance of itself.  What's the status on this?
> >
> Hey Spencer,
>
> Default browser should works for some months already if your application
> (or toolkit, like Qt does) invoke the xdg-open to open the url. This is
> then transmitted via dbus to an external process on your classic system
> which then issues the real xdg-open command.
> For the others, there are been indeed multiple discussions on this at
> multiple places (here, on the bug report…), but no action or firm
> decision. I'm CCing Gustavo as he was the one against a more generic
> intermediate solutions.
>
> Cheers,
> Didier

Eloy García Almadén