Snaps to invoke external processes

Ted Gould ted at ubuntu.com
Tue Nov 22 14:16:39 UTC 2016

On Tue, 2016-11-22 at 07:46 +0100, Didier Roche wrote:
> Le 22/11/2016 à 05:43, Spencer Parkin a écrit :
> > Well, actually, not unless the customer also installs snapd-xdg-
> > open.  Why is it an add-on?  Why not just make it part of snapd?
>
> I gues the idea was to keep it as a separate daemon and have the
> implementation which can easily change.
> The "why it's not installed by default" was the reason why I CCed
> Michael yesterday. I hope he will answer here.

I imagine it is because different implementations are probably going to
want to implement URL handling slightly differently. For instance we
were discussing having the Unity8 QPA plugin grab the Mir surface ID
and pass it along to URL Dispatcher so that we can properly display
errors or application choosing dialogs on the right surface in Unity8.
Also the way that URLs are registered is significantly different
depending on implementation.

I would suggest that we could include the "snapd-xdg-open" tool when
someone specifies the "unity7" interface.

Ted