quassel-webserver snap

Celso Providelo celso.providelo at canonical.com
Wed Nov 23 17:19:39 UTC 2016

On Wed, Nov 23, 2016 at 2:52 PM Leo Arias <leo.arias at canonical.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I know a bunch of people here use quassel. There's a new snap for you:
>
> $ sudo snap install quassel-webserver --edge
> $ sensible-browser https://localhost:64443
>
> The main developer, Joël Charles, has been amazing. For a couple of weeks
> we have been experimenting with his project. First, we had to solve an
> issue with the less-middleware module because it wanted to use the install
> directory instead of SNAP_DATA [1], then we got travis to build the snap on
> every PR [2], and finally he agreed to beta test the new enable-ci command
> of snapcraft that Celso is working on.
>
> When I asked about feedback or feature requests, he said: "Not that I
> think of, it just went very smoothly" :_)
>
> Of course, a few seconds later travis broke and we found a bug in Celso's
> PR, just to keep us grounded. It was a quick fix, and now every change on
> master will build and push the snap to edge [3].
>
> I really want to thank Joël because we now have a set of scripts tested in
> real live, that we can just apply to new projects. Also Celso because
> without the enable-ci command, this would never have been a smooth
> experience.

Amazing work Leo! Thanks for jumping in so quickly (it's not even landed in
master) and experimenting with this feature in real circumstances.

Until it lands and 2.23 gets SRU-ed in xenial we have to cope with the lack
of support for local store credentials (`.snapcraft.cfg`). There are other
less-intrusive alternatives like [1], but once the transition is gone
`enable-ci` will do the right thing for the majority of projects (simple
ones).

We hope this initiative along with build.snapcraft.io (down the road) will
considerably increase the number of revisions released in edge, like we
already see for core and lxd. That's why we are also working on metrics to
capture how developers are pushing/releasing their snaps (webui, snapcraft,
travis, LP, etc). It will be nice to observe these trending as we offer
easier ways to do CI with snaps.

[]

[1] https://github.com/cprov/surl/blob/master/.travis.yml#L22