Snapping Ubuntu phone app using "ubuntu-app-platform"

Timo Jyrinki timo.jyrinki at gmail.com
Sat Nov 26 19:21:14 UTC 2016

Hi XiaoGuo,

Thanks for sharing your experience! Qt version is an important detail
indeed, as we want to offer the Qt Project's Long Term Supported version -
the 5.6 series - as the version in ubuntu-app-platform.

-Timo

torstai 24. marraskuuta 2016 XiaoGuo Liu <xiaoguo.liu at canonical.com>
kirjoitti:
> Hi,
> I have created a Chinese blog at
http://blog.csdn.net/ubuntutouch/article/details/53315941. It shows how to
make use of ubuntu-app-platform to create a Qt-based application using
content interface. Hopefully, it is useful to some of you!
> Thanks & best regards,
> XiaoGuo
> On Wed, Nov 23, 2016 at 3:48 PM, XiaoGuo Liu <xiaoguo.liu at canonical.com>
wrote:

>> Hi all,
>> I just found that there was nothing wrong with my project. After some
troubleshooting, I finally found the root cause of the problem.
The ubuntu-app-platform is based on Qt 5.6.1 version. However, the Qt
version on my desktop is Qt 5.5.1
>> As suggested by the blog
https://developer.ubuntu.com/en/blog/2016/11/16/snapping-qt-apps/, we need
to install the  stable-phone-overlay at
https://launchpad.net/~ci-train-ppa-service/+archive/ubuntu/stable-phone-overlay/.
We need to do "sudo apt upgrade" and "sudo apt dist-upgrade" to make sure
our Qt version is Qt 5.6.1. Then everything will be fine.
>> Best regards,
>> XiaoGuo
>>

>> On Wed, Nov 23, 2016 at 12:21 PM, XiaoGuo Liu <xiaoguo.liu at canonical.com>
wrote:

>>> Hi,
>>> I just read a blog about snapping a Qt app at:
>>> https://developer.ubuntu.com/en/blog/2016/11/16/snapping-qt-apps/
>>>
>>> I followed the step, and I made my own project at:
>>> https://github.com/liu-xiao-guo/rssreader_platform
>>>
>>> The file size is dropped dramatically. However, there is a problem when
launching the app:
>>> "This application failed to start because it could not find or load the
Qt platform plugin "xcb".
>>> Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.
>>> Aborted (core dumped)
>>> I am not sure what is missing in my project.
>>> However, my sample app at https://github.com/liu-xiao-guo/rssreader_slim.
It works fine, and it does not use "ubuntu-app-platform", which uses the
content sharing.