snapcraft's python plugins, road ahead and changes.

Sergio Schvezov sergio.schvezov at canonical.com
Fri Sep 2 17:35:23 UTC 2016

Hi there, after seeing many problems with the current python plugins I
decided to overhaul them. It has basically been re-written, fixing many
bugs and annoyances. Among those nice things these changes provide are:
smaller resulting snaps, easier iteration, wheel support and a clear
separation of packages brought in through pip and those provided by a
`stage-packages` entry.

I invite any interested party to have a look at it here:

https://github.com/snapcore/snapcraft/pull/771

It is in my interest to make this part of 2.17 (which will start its SRU
process next week).

With all this glory comes a problem, given the separation of THE python
runtime and its stage-packages from whatever else you install iif you
are a heavy fileset user or use command paths to entry points created
from an install you will run into problems (a simple edit solves this).

That said I am keen to hear from people using the python plugins, and to
get a response from them if this is a better take on it.

I am also interested to know if aside from fileset (these keywords in
parts: `filesets`, `organize`, `stage` and `snap`) and `command`
adaptations to whatever new path is used if there are any other blockers
you might see with this branch.

If the previous incantations of the python plugins did not work for you
and this one doesn't either, then please also speak up (in the PR would
be better) and maybe we can craft a fix.

Cheers

Sergio