Interface for accessing /dev/net/tun

Casey Marshall casey.marshall at canonical.com
Sat Sep 3 17:45:54 UTC 2016

I'm trying to write a snap for OpenVPN with some wrapper scripts that
automate PKI setup, IP masq, etc. My goal is to be able to setup an OpenVPN
server with a single command, and then issue new clients with a single
command. I'm using strict mode, because that's how I roll.

I've added the firewall-control and network-control plugs, and that allowed
some things to work (like setting up IP masq, etc.). However openvpn cannot
start up, it's getting denied from opening /dev/net/tap,
https://github.com/cmars/easy-openvpn-pkg/blob/master/TODO.md#tuntap-access-for-openvpn-in-strict-mode

Would it be reasonable to contribute a patch to snapd adding the tun and/or
tap devices to the network-control interface? Or would these constitute a
new interface?

-Casey