DEPRECATED: 'license' defined in snapcraft.yaml

Jamie Bennett jamie.bennett at canonical.com
Mon Sep 5 11:03:49 UTC 2016

On 04/09/16 at 01:42am, Joseph Rushton Wakeling wrote:
> Just got the above error message as I was finishing up my LDC snap.
>
> What's the recommended way to include license information?  I ask because
> the 'snapcraft syntax' page on snapcraft.io lists the `licence` attribute
> without any mention of deprecation or an alternative for it:
> http://snapcraft.io/docs/build-snaps/syntax
>
> Apologies if the question has been asked and answered before, but I didn't
> find anything obvious in the mailing list archives, so I thought I would ask
> the question very obviously in order to correct that ;-)

License files can be copied across if they are present in the setup/
directory. Reproduced from docs/meta.md

"
## Fixed assets

Some metadata is provided in the form of conventions, such as license files,
icons and desktop files among others. For these fixed files to make it into
your final snap they need to be in a `setup` directory at the same level of
your `snapcraft.yaml`.
"

Of course the website needs updating to reflect the new syntax (and the fact
that icon e.t.c also uses the setup/ dir now).

> Thanks & best wishes,
>
>      -- Joe

Regards,
Jamie.