New spread, new features, new 14.04 image

Gustavo Niemeyer gustavo.niemeyer at canonical.com
Thu Sep 8 00:42:21 UTC 2016

Hello all,

Tomorrow there's a new spread coming with a couple of changes, one of them
incompatible on the adhoc backend.

Before jumping into those, please note there's a new image available for
our tests: ubuntu-14.04-64

The first change is on using images that require username/password. That's
often required to test setups with custom images more easily (anyone said
Ubuntu Core? :). Spread used to login into the image as the provided user
and then use sudo to setup root access via ssh. Now spread won't touch the
system configuration in those cases and will instead use sudo itself to run
all test scripts.

This second one breaks compatibility with the previous adhoc backend, so
please read through if you're using it. The AdHoc backend has changed the
way it communicates information back to Spread on allocation and discarding
of systems to be more flexible.

Now the address allocated is reported with:

    ADDRESS addr[:port]

and you can exit with a nice error message with one of:

    ERROR $msg
    FATAL $msg

That's supported in any of the scripts (so far we have two: allocate, and
discard).

More details on both changes is available at:

    https://github.com/snapcore/spread#adhoc
    https://github.com/snapcore/spread#passwords

These features are available on the master branch, but not yet release to
Travis or to the spread snap. I'll update those tomorrow during my day so
I'm around to sort any issues.

gustavo @ http://niemeyer.net