Accessing dbus (KDE Application)

Jean-Baptiste Mardelle jb at kdenlive.org
Sat Sep 10 14:43:50 UTC 2016

Hi all,

Working on a snap package for Kdenlive (video editing app based on KDE
frameworks), i encounter one problem with restrictions of the "strict"
mode.

My snap package runs fine when using devmode, but crashes on startup when
using the strict mode with the following message:
"Couldn't register name 'org.kde.kdenlive-17772' with DBUS - another
process owns it already!"

Kdenlive (and many KDE Applications) create a DBUS entry on startup:
org.kde.appName-$PID

In our case, we use dbus to inform the main application of the progress of
video rendering tasks, which are performed by a command line application.

Is there anything I can do to allow my application to register and access
its dbus service ?

Thanks,

Jean-Baptiste Mardelle
Kdenlive maintainer