Ubuntu Core 16 beta images available

Michael Vogt michael.vogt at canonical.com
Thu Sep 15 08:47:17 UTC 2016

Hi,

a quick followup with some suggestions how to improve the user
experience when working with the amd64 and pi2 images.

On Wed, Sep 07, 2016 at 11:50:54PM +0200, Michael Vogt wrote:
[..]
> The images are bootable, the pc image can be booted directly in
> qemu-kvm or virtualenv.

Some more details about running the images inside qemu-kvm.

When running the images in qemu-kvm it is helpful to use the "-redir"
feature of qemu-kvm. E.g.:

    $ kvm -m 1500 -redir tcp:10022::22 ubuntu-core-16-amd64.img

The message from console-conf is a bit misleading in this setup. It
will say "ssh USER at 10.0.2.15". However due to the way that qemu-kvm
user networking works, you will actually have to run:

    $ ssh -p 10022 USER at localhost

to ssh into the images. We should probably include it in the
instructions for images on snapcraft.io.

> The pi2 image can be written to a sdcard via:
>
>     unxz ubuntu-core-16-pc.img.xz
>     dd if= ubuntu-core-16-pc.img of=/dev/sdXX
>
> Where /dev/sdXX is the path of your sd card.
[..]

An alternative way to write the image is to use "go-dd":

     $ sudo snap install --devmode --beta godd
     $ sudo /snap/bin/godd ubuntu-core-16-pi2.img
     [this will print a message what devices are removable]

     $ sudo /snap/bin/godd ubuntu-core-16-pi2.img /dev/sdXX

The advantage of godd is that it will not write to devices that are
still mounted and that it can help detecting what removable devices
are available (and it shows a progressbar).

Cheers,
 Michael