Learning to snap with codelabs

Daniel Holbach daniel.holbach at canonical.com
Tue Sep 27 14:34:43 UTC 2016

Hello everybody,

learning something new, especially new concepts and workflows usually
works best if you see it first-hand and get to do things yourself.
Didier and I talked a while about how to introduce the processes and
ideas behind snapd and snapcraft to a new audience, particularly at a
workshop or meetup and we found we were of the same opinion.

Didier put quite a bit of work into solving the infrastructure question.
We re-used the work which was put into Codelabs already, so adding a new
codelab merely became a question of creating a Google Doc and adding it
using a management command. It works nicely, the UI is simple and easy
to understand and lets you focus on the content at hand. It was a lot of
fun to work on the content and refine the individual steps in a
self-teaching workshop style. Thanks a lot everyone for the reviews!

After some discussion it became clear that a very fitting way for the
codelabs to go out would be to ship them as a snap themselves. It's
beautifully simple to get started:

  $ sudo snap install snap-codelabs

All you need to do afterwards is point your browser to
http://localhost:8123/ - that's all.

>From thereon you can quickly start your snap adventure and get up and
running in no time. It's a step-by-step workshop and you always know how
much more time you need to complete it.

Expect more codelabs to be added soon. If you have feedback, please let
us know at https://github.com/ubuntu/codelabs

Enjoy and let us know how things go.

Have a great day,
 Daniel