snapping a python2 application that uses a makefile

Michael Foley michael.foley at canonical.com
Wed Sep 28 23:42:20 UTC 2016

Hello,

I've started working on a few snaps last month and worked out how to
build an initial snap of the gpodder podcast client.  However in order
to get it to build I had to do a few manual steps during the build
step.  This is a python2 application, but actually uses a makefile.  I
tried a few different tactics including trying to use the make plugin,
but that does not create the command wrapper properly.

And actually when I tried to rebuild my snap today the command wrapper
is failing to find and exec gpodder.  I think the command wrapper is no
longer setting the PYTHONPATH.  Has this changed in the python2 plugin.
I see that is deprecated so tried the python plugin with
"python-version: python2", but got the same result.

A copy of my snapcraft.yaml file is here:
http://pastebin.ubuntu.com/23248926/

Any suggestions on ways to work around these issues?

Thanks,
Michael