daemon ordering

Howard Cochran howard at badger-technologies.com
Wed Feb 1 18:37:38 UTC 2017

On Wed, Feb 1, 2017 at 12:22 PM, Gustavo Niemeyer
<gustavo.niemeyer at canonical.com> wrote:
> We'll probably not support completely arbitrary passthrough options as it
> removes our ability to properly map the functionality into the confined
> world.
>
> One instructive example is the commands that are already supported. They
> can't be just blindly executed as it might allow the snap to leave their
> confined space.

This makes sense for certain use cases (such as cloud services built
on snappy core). But another market that Canonical appears to be
targeting for snappy core is embedded systems. In this context, the
device developer is generally more interested in snappy for its
software deployment & updating features than for keeping one service
within the embedded device completely confined from another service on
the same device. Indeed, a great deal of control over service
configuration may be required in order to build a complete embedded
system.

-- Howard