snapd available in Trusty Tahr

Thomas Voß thomas.voss at canonical.com
Thu Feb 2 07:38:18 UTC 2017

On Thu, Feb 02, 2017 at 12:51:59AM +0100, Joseph Rushton Wakeling wrote:
> On 31/01/17 14:01, Jamie Bennett wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > The team are pleased to announce that, after extensive testing in proposed, snapd is officially available in the Trusty Tahr updates archive [1]. If you are running a 14.04 system we encourage you to give it a try and report any issues [2]. Thanks to all involved in making this happen.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Jamie.
> >
> > [1] https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/trusty/+source/snapd
> > [2] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/snapd
>
> I tried this earlier today on a Trusty machine and ran into some
> difficulties installing.  `sudo apt install snapd` resulted in the following
> error message:
>
>     snapd: Depends: systemd (>= 204-5ubuntu20.20) but it is not going to be
> installed
>
> Attempting to install systemd directly (to work out what was wrong) resulted
> in something similar:
>
>     gnome-control-center: Depends: libcheese-gtk23 (>= 3.4.0) but it is not
> going to be installed
>                                    libcheese7 (>= 3.0.1) ...
>
>     ubuntu-control-center: Depends: libcheese-gtk23 (>= 3.4.0) ...
>                                     libcheese7 (>= 3.0.1) ...
>
> Any thoughts on what could be wrong here?

Yup, you are hit by the issue described in here:

  http://askubuntu.com/questions/878750/snapd-package-conflicts-with-xorg-packages/878770#878770

In summary, we are waiting for an SRU (see [1]) for the xorg xenial lts stack to
arrive in -updates. The short term fix is to enable -proposed. If that
does not solve your issue, please report a bug against
https://launchpad.net/snapd tagging it with trusty.

Thanks for trying out snapd on trusty,

  Thomas

[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xorg-server/+bug/1619142