Creating system users and system groups

Oliver Grawert ogra at ubuntu.com
Thu Feb 2 15:12:45 UTC 2017

hi,
Am Donnerstag, den 02.02.2017, 15:01 +0000 schrieb Mark Shuttleworth:
> On 02/02/17 14:52, Colin Watson wrote:
> >
> > You might like to use
> > https://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/d-i/user-setup.git/tree/reserved-us
> > ernames
> > as part of this; d-i and ubiquity both use that as a way of saying
> > "you
> > can't use that username because it'll conflict with well-known
> > system
> > users".  It doubtless won't be complete (it doesn't currently
> > contain
> > avahi, for instance), but it should be a useful starting point.
> >
> Let's definitely use that as a definitive reference, thanks Colin.
>
> I think we may want to go further and assign specific UIDs, too.

please note that our setup is also particulary special due to the mix
of readonly and readwrite parts of the core images and the fact that
the core snap is used as rootfs there. we require a readonly password
database with fixed UID/GID numbers that can never change (else you run
into filesystem permission issues)

if we use a generic mechanism to allow snaps to add users and groups in
classic installs this design will have to be different for snaps used
on core images where we can only use the writable extrausers db to add
anything and can not use already taken IDs that are hardcoded in the
readonly password db.
so an implementation that allows adding system users will have to be
done twice in two different ways for both of these use cases.

ciao
	oli