Where to save stuff (in snap-agnostic way)

XiaoGuo Liu xiaoguo.liu at canonical.com
Sat Feb 4 02:33:20 UTC 2017

Hi,

I just tried it with my helloworld snap example. It shows:

liuxg at liuxg:~/snappy/desktop/ss$ hello.env | grep XDG_RUNTIME
XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=/run/user/1000/snap.hello

When I tried to run it with:

$ sudo snap run --shell hello.env

Inside the shell, I find different variable for XDG_RUNTIME_DIR:

# env | grep XDG_RUNTIME_DIR
XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=/run/user/0/snap.hello

I tried to create the above named dir /run/user/1000/snap.hello, but it is
not accessible in the  shell

Thanks.

On Sat, Feb 4, 2017 at 5:41 AM, Michael Hall <mhall119 at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> Be sure to use XDG_RUNTIME_DIR and not '/var/run' specifically, as
> XDG_RUNTIME_DIR is /run/user/<userid>/snap.<snapname>/ in a snap's
> runtime. You may also need to create that directory before using it.
>
> Michael Hall
> mhall119 at ubuntu.com
>
> On 02/03/2017 04:19 PM, Christian Dywan wrote:
> > Hey Luca,
> >
> > I'll suggest XDG_RUNTIME_DIR i.e. /var/run
> >
> > Regards,
> > Cris
> >
> > Am 3. Februar 2017 21:04:19 MEZ schrieb Luca Dionisi
> > <luca.dionisi at gmail.com>:
> >
> >     What is the best place to write (and read) a temporary FIFO file from
> >     a confined snap application?
> >     This is for simple IPC between 2 processes of the same snap.
> >     Before attempting to snap the application I was using a fixed
> filename
> >     in /tmp. Admittedly poor solution.
> >     The solution should be usable also with another packaging system.
> >
> >     --Luca
> >
> >     P.S. the problem with Vala library has been solved and I was able to
> >     make the snap work in devmode. Now I am trying to move from devmode
> >     strict.
> >

> > --
> > Diese Nachricht wurde von meinem Android-Mobiltelefon mit K-9 Mail
> > gesendet.

XiaoGuo, Liu