Where to save stuff (in snap-agnostic way)

Oliver Grawert ogra at ubuntu.com
Sat Feb 4 10:43:57 UTC 2017

hi,
Am Freitag, den 03.02.2017, 21:04 +0100 schrieb Luca Dionisi:
> What is the best place to write (and read) a temporary FIFO file from
> a confined snap application?
> This is for simple IPC between 2 processes of the same snap.
> Before attempting to snap the application I was using a fixed
> filename
> in /tmp. Admittedly poor solution.
> The solution should be usable also with another packaging system.

well ... in case of snaps /tmp is a private directory that only your
snap can access so it is actually a good place for such stuff ...

... that said ... if you want to use it in other packaging systems
where this is not the case it might indeed not be the best choice and
using XDG_RUNTIME_DIR might be the better way, as others pointed out.

ciao
	oli