Custom Kernel and Gadged Snap Issue for Eragon410 board based on Dragonboard410c and other build related issues

Oliver Grawert ogra at ubuntu.com
Mon Feb 6 12:21:29 UTC 2017

hi,
On Sa, 2017-02-04 at 09:20 +0000, Sunny Bhayani wrote:

> ISSUE 1:
> ..
> We are able to see the firmware binaries for Wifi in the rootfs at
> "/lib/firmware" where they are expected. But we are not able to see
> the Wifi interface (wlan0).

does lsmod show you the module for your wlan device loaded ? do you see
any errors in dmesg if you load it manually ?

> ISSUE 2:
> When we do "snap list", we are getting the below error:
> ---- Error Start ----
>     user at localhost:~$ snap list
>     No snaps are installed yet. Try "snap install hello-world".
> ---- Error End ----
obviously your board has not been initialized correctly, did you
properly sign your model assertion with a valid key and are gadget and
kernel in the store yet (edge channel will be sufficient for this if
you tell ubuntu-image to use the edge channel) and signed with the same
key ?

> Installing the hello-world snap gives the below error:
> http://pastebin.com/h9nDtk06
if the image has not been initialized correctly using a signed model
assertion snapd thinks you are on a classic install and tries to
install a new core snap on top of the running system, this wont work
unless the firstboot setup of snapd succeeded.

> ISSUE 4:
> We built the Dragonboard410c kernel source, Gadget snap and thereby
> created the Ubuntu OS snap. But when we boot the Ubuntu Core, we get
> this error:
> http://pastebin.com/h2eJG1yw
did you properly list the required firmware to be included with the
initrd in the "kernel-initrd-fws:" option of your kernel snap
snapcraft.yaml ?

> ISSUE 5:
> For the "Model Assertion", if we do not rename our Gadget snap to
> "dragonboard_16.04-0.18_armhf.snap", and Kernel snap to "96boards-
> kernel_4.4.0_arm64.snap", then we are not able to generate the Ubuntu
> Core OS snap. It seems that these names (Dragonboard related names)
> are hardcoded in the "ubuntu-image" tool.
is this with a freshly created model assertion that you signed with a
proper key ? there is definitelly no hardcoding of the dragonboard name
in ubuntu-image, it just reads your model assertion and checks the
keys.

> It would be great if you can give us pointers for the same.

did you follow
https://docs.ubuntu.com/core/en/guides/build-device/image-building
to create your model assertion ?

it might also be helpful to get a pointer to your kernel snap and
gadget snap source.

ciao
	oli